Spring Cleanse, 10 Steps to Revving Up Your Best Spring Self
It is now Spring. Here in Philadelphia, the trees are blossoming, and I see dandelions, buttercups all wiggling their way to the surface looking for the warmth of the spring sun and enjoying as I do, the smell and nourishment of a small spring rain. This is very promising and if you live in the northeast there is nothing better. This week people came “out of the woodwork” to jog, walk and get their bodies moving along the paths and parks taking note of the up and coming bathing suits and shorts season.
It is this season that I find most important to get rid of the old stagnation, toxicity, and the mental clogging of the winter where curling up on the couch in the dinnertime darkness leads to nights of stagnation. Spring is the season of new beginnings.
I happen to start early in February to start and rev up my very slow-moving metabolism. February 6th, on the Chinese calendar, is the date where the ground starts to warm, and the springtime energies start to build a presence. It is a great time to activate the liver by adding some spicier foods. It is also a great time to eliminate sugar and sour foods that can slow the liver down. Put it on your digital calendar for next year!
However, it is now March 31st and most people are just gearing up, seeing the light and thinking in terms of getting outside. Here is the easiest cleanse that will take your body from winter blues to spring energy relatively quickly. Many people find this cleanse do-able and folks are much more motivated than they were in January after making New Year’s resolutions that fell by the wayside by the end of the month. The following 10 steps will rev your body and clear your mind up so you can change seasons with ease.
1. Watch your diet for 3 days. Eliminate extra cups of coffee, alcohol, and tobacco. Cut down on the sugar and cut down on any complex carbohydrates. Slowly eliminate these things as best as you can by the third day. For those of you that like concrete evidence of how many carbs to protein you are taking in, you can get free apps like Sparks People where you can write everything down. The “bite it write it” technique is very effective. These three days prepare your body for the cleanse.
2. Give your body, mind, and eyes time to wake with no smart devices. Smile and bless the day ahead.
3. Start each morning with a cup of hot water adding 1Tbs of lemon and a dash of Cayenne. I use a large dash and can really feel the cayenne working!
4. Do 5 - 30 minutes of gentle stretching in the morning. Simple Yoga routines like Sun Salutations are great for flexibility and building strength. Get yourself a good Bolster & Yoga Mat & Block if you are just starting out.
5. For seven days eat a simple diet of good high-quality protein (Do not use protein shakes) great fats from fresh avocadoes, olive oils, and almonds. Eat fresh spring greens at every meal including breakfast. For those that cannot digest the raw veggies, steam them with a small sprinkling of good sea salt and pepper. Use dandelion, ginger, bitter greens and kales for an extra boost. Eat meals slowly with intent. Stop eating 3 hours before bed - a good thing to follow year-round as food and digestion can lead to poor sleep.
6. For seven days prepare a vegetable juice of celery, apple, cucumber, beets, kale, and ginger. Add 2Tbs of flax oil. Drink two cups of this per day as a snack. This can be made a day ahead.
8. Lastly, each night before bed do a relaxing yoga routine for sleep. You can find many short and effective routines for bedtime. I like Yoga Nidra for Sleep and like to listen to a good teacher via YouTube or the free Insight Timer App. Yoga Nidra routines give us the deepest possible state of relaxation without actually sleeping, a very close state to that of meditative consciousness. Yoga Nidra for Sleep mediations help guide you to a peaceful state of sleep.
9. Burn some Palo Santo or smudge your house with Sage, use Essential Oils and a burner for getting rid of the winter blues. Fresh smells of Bergamot and Peppermint can bring your air to life as well as your body.
10. Clear out clutter from your house, office, or other workspaces. A clear house reflects a clear mind!
So clear the air, your space, your body, your mind and feel your best going into the months ahead!
Caution: This cleanse may lead to better health, weight loss, and more defined muscle. :)
Sat Nam ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ
All Comments Welcome
Written by Soorya Kirti Kaur
Follow the Yama Yoga Store Pinterest